Working with the communications team and teams across the organization and external stakeholders, the Communications Coordinator, Special Projects will implement CFC’s communications activities on several large-scale projects, including the Investment Readiness Program, Communities for Gender Equality, and the Healthy Communities Initiative.
CFC is committed to relentlessly pursuing a future where everyone belongs — that starts with our team. We can grow, learn and better serve our communities with a diversity of perspectives and lived experiences. We welcome the unique contributions people can bring in terms of their geographic location in Canada, education, culture, ethnicity, Indigenous status, race, languages spoken, gender identity and expression, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
This is a full-time contract position for 12 to 18 months contingent on funding within a highly dynamic and motivated team.
This position can be located anywhere in Canada with some possible travel for specific activities.
Total compensation package
Package is between $45,000 – $60,000 per year, depending on experience and project funding.
Who are we looking for?
You have a passion for storytelling and can work in a bilingual environment. You have an eye for design and the ability to simplify complex information. You can work independently but also enjoy collaboration across your team. You are comfortable working with diverse stakeholders and building positive relationship dynamics among groups with competing interests and priorities. You have excellent organizational skills and can manage a complex portfolio of work with multiple deadlines and deliverables. You can adapt to team structures and project management software. You are a self-starter with a can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude who’s not afraid to dive in wherever necessary to get the job done. You are adaptive and thrive when working in complexity. You understand and apply an anti-oppression, anti-racist, and feminist lens to your work. You uphold the values of CFC and help advance our commitments.
What does the role involve?
Communications Content Development (50%)
- Create a wide range of high-quality communications materials related to special projects in various formats (project plans, briefing materials, reports, brochures, news releases, media lines, Q&As, backgrounders, etc.) for the appropriate audiences.
- Copy edit and proofread programmatic materials, including applicant guides, internal communications to community foundations etc.
- Create infographics, videos, and other content (for print and digital) as needed that make CFC’s work accessible to expert and non-expert audiences.
- Ensure content respects brand guidelines, accessibility and bilingual standards.
- Reinforce broader narratives and key messages
Communications Planning and Strategy (20%)
- Contribute to the development of and be accountable for the delivery of outstanding communications strategies for several large-scale, national programs and initiatives
- Provide advice and recommendations to team members on the best communications approaches and tools to help them effectively manage critical issues and deal with the impacts on programs
- Track and develop analytics and metrics for various programs and initiatives
- Contribute to the broader development of CFC’s communications strategy
Project Management (20%)
- Plan and monitor the implementation of communications work using the team’s project management tools to meet deadlines and ensure progress and updates are transparent across the team
- Contribute to the broader communications planning across CFC, coordinating with other communications colleagues to ensure optimal timing and delivery
Media Monitoring and Engagement (10%)
- Have an understanding of the narrative themes resonating in media
- Monitor issue areas related to your projects and recommend opportunities for engagement.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and French
- Experience in creating communications products such as news releases, blog posts, social content, media lines and Q&A
- Experience in copy editing and proofreading with a deep understanding of grammar, composition principles and tailoring content to specific audiences
- An understanding of design principles and the ability to create visual communications collateral that is clear and engaging
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with experience working both independently and in a team
- Experience in project management, change management, with strong planning and organizational skills, including attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated diplomacy and discretion in handling delicate and confidential matters
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple, changing priorities
- High standards of professional behaviour, ethical standards, and sound judgment
- Experience (or familiarity) with productivity, collaboration and content creation tools. Such as:
- GSuite (Google Docs, Sheets and Slide, etc.)
- Zoho One (CRM, Survey, Forms, Projects, etc.),
- Canva, Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress
- Lived experiences or knowledge that contribute to CFC’s purpose, creativity, and perspectives
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Significant experience with Adobe Creative Suite, including Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere Pro
- Considerable experience with web content management programs such as WordPress
- Experience with working in a bilingual communications environment, with translators and interpreters
- Media relations experience including pitching, media training and managing relationships with media outlets
- Understanding of targetted communications approaches to reach equity-seeking groups including but not limited to Indigenous communities, the LBGTQ2S community, racialized communities, and OLM communities
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to the following form. Please address your cover letter to Jacqueline Reid, Director of Communications (firstname.lastname@example.org). In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in joining CFC and this role.
The deadline for applications is May 15, although applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis so please apply early.