Community Foundations of Canada (CFC) was founded in 1992 to support and connect community foundations working across Canada. The movement of community foundations has grown considerably since then; today, more than 90% of Canadian communities have access to a community foundation. Collectively the network stewards combined assets of more than $6.2 billion, and we’ve put hundreds of millions back into communities. CFC’s purpose is to “relentlessly pursue a future where everyone belongs.” In addition to championing the issues that matter to Canadians, CFC also acts as a catalyst, thought leader, and partner to help our communities be stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.
CFC’s team dreams big about community impact, with a supportive culture rooted in learning, collaboration, and a dedication to teamwork. The main office is in Ottawa, and we work closely with our network, which has deep roots in communities from coast to coast to coast. We’re expanding our team with the addition of the role of Accounting Clerk. This position will play a central role in supporting and strengthening the Corporate Services team.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a self-starter with a can-do attitude who is not afraid to dive-in wherever necessary to get the job done. The right candidate will have a mix of skills that combines a keen eye for detail, a warm and positive demeanor, significant autonomy, and a resilient and solution-oriented attitude. That person will have strong interpersonal skills, patience, and genuinely enjoys helping and working with people. As the Accounting Clerk, you must have post-secondary education in accounting and a minimum of 1 year of experience. Qualified candidates will possess advanced Excel skills and be exceptionally competent with QuickBooks.
Working alongside the current CFC Corporate Services team, and reporting to the Director, Corporate Services, the Accounting Clerk’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Review and verify invoices, expenses claims, and cheque requests
- Sort, code, and match invoices and expense claims
- Data entry: manually enter or electronically upload invoices/ cheque requisitions/ expense reports and credit memos into the accounting system, verify account codes and approval signatures
- Prepare and perform cheque runs, which include wire transfer payments and EFTs
- Provide EFT payment advisement to vendors and stakeholders
- Reconcile monthly corporate credit cards
- Track expense claims submitted and paid; follow-up with outstanding claims issues
- Maintain vendor files, both electronic and paper-based
- Correspond with vendors and respond to inquiries
- Ensure financial records are accurate and up to date
- Research and resolve invoice discrepancies and issues
- Prepare and send invoices to customers
- Track and follow-up on outstanding receivables and payables
As part of CFC’s collaborative culture, the Accounting Clerk will provide other logistical, engagement, communications support to CFC projects and initiatives as needed.
We’re keen to find a dynamic and motivated individual who has:
- Strong ability to plan and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- An eye for accuracy and quality assurance
- Comfort with computer-based solutions and knowledge of QuickBooks, MS Office, Gmail, Google Drive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize work appropriately and against strict deadlines
- Ability to work independently and also within a team
- This position is a 12-month contract position with the potential to become permanent
- This position is located in Ottawa at CFC’s Head Office
- Compensation will be $40,000 to $45,000, commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Email a detailed cover letter and résumé to Lesley Inglis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list “Accounting Clerk” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is January 29th at 5:00 pm ET. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.