Community Foundations of Canada (CFC) was founded in 1992 to support and connect community foundations working across Canada. The movement of community foundations has grown considerably since then; today, more than 90% of Canadian communities have access to a community foundation. Collectively the network stewards combined assets of more than $6.2 billion, and we’ve put hundreds of millions back into communities. CFC’s purpose is to “relentlessly pursue a future where everyone belongs.” In addition to championing the issues that matter to Canadians, CFC also acts as a catalyst, thought leader and partner to help make our communities stronger, more resilient and sustainable.
CFC’s team dreams big about community impact, with a supportive culture rooted in learning, collaboration, and a dedication to teamwork. The main office is in Ottawa, and we work closely with our network that has deep roots in communities from coast to coast to coast. We’re expanding our team with the addition of the role of Director, Governance & Executive Office. This position will play a central role in maximizing and supporting the President*, CEO*, and Board of Directors.
*The Executive Leadership of CFC is activated through a unique collaborative partnership between two individuals operating in a co-leadership structure. Having two dynamic individuals with different but complementary sets of skills leading CFC as its President and CEO is a unique opportunity—one made even stronger by the way the organization and its staff and board have embraced the principles of shared leadership at all levels and as part of the culture.
Who are we looking for?
We’re looking for a self-starter with a thoughtful, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude, who’s not afraid to dive in wherever necessary to get the job done. The right candidate will have a special mix of skills that combines a keen eye for detail; a warm demeanor that puts people at ease; significant autonomy; and a resilient and solutions-oriented attitude. That person will be fully bilingual (English and French), have strong interpersonal skills, patience, and will genuinely enjoy helping people take advantage of opportunities and solve challenges. The right candidate will be comfortable in a fast-paced environment, and will be able to keep focus amid competing priorities.
What does the role involve?
The role will involve a number of core components:
Management of the Executive Office:
- Streamlining and modernizing CFC’s executive office which consists of engaging and supporting both the President and CEO
- Using project management techniques that are effective to manage President and CEO projects as appropriate, including maintaining effective relationships with and oversight of third-party service providers
- In partnership with the CFC team, providing input to the CEO and President on relevant strategic priorities and maintains a 2-3 year sight line on key projects, activities, and resources
- Working with the broader CFC team to ensure incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CEO and/or President are received, sorted, prioritized, responded to
- Supporting CEO and President scheduling and contact management
- Coordinating anniversaries, milestones and other key internal administrative functions
- In partnership with the President and CEO, leading or contributing to:
- Organizational white papers
- Board memos
- Other executive office written documents
Board Engagement and Governance: In collaboration with the President, CEO and Board Chair, lead Board engagement by:
- Managing and administering all activities of the CFC Board, Board committees, and other working groups/committees
- Providing the Board Chair, committee chairs, and CFC with governance expertise while taking ownership of all governance functions
- Leading the CFC team into and through Board and Committee meeting cycles
- Initiating the setting of meeting dates, developing and tracking required agenda content, taking effective meeting minutes and ensuring follow through of actions coming out of meetings
- In consultation with appropriate colleagues and Board and Committee volunteers, developing and ensuring adherence to committee terms of reference and workplans
- Triggering and supporting the planning, timing and implementation of various governance processes: nominations and recruitment, orientation, annual assessment, ongoing development etc.
- Facilitating the regular flow of information/communication with the Board and Committees as required
- Providing research and background information to assist the Board and various decision-making bodies in developing policies
- Facilitating the annual/regular submission of governance and compliance documents to the appropriate government authorities
- Supporting and administering Board and committee member travel and expenses; ensuring the efficient processing of invoices and overseeing annual governance budget
- Liaising across CFC team to ensure up to date and accurate content related to governance across all CFC collateral and communications
- Monitoring and ensuring ongoing compliance, review and development of corporate bylaws, procedures, policies and other governance/regulatory requirements
- Creating Board engagement strategy and implementation plans
- Modernizing communication tools and platforms for Board Governance
- In partnership with the Governance Committee, CEO and President, consider improvements to governance structures and support implementation as appropriate
- Addressing and responding to Board and committee member inquiries
Project Management: This position will frequently project manage special initiatives. At times supporting the design, implementation, administrative processes, problem solving, general project management, technological support infrastructure, reporting and evaluation.
Other responsibilities: As part of CFC’s culture of collaboration, partnership, and support, this position will provide other logistical, engagement, communications, and administrative support to CFC as needed when requested.
We’re keen to find a dynamic and motivated individual who has:
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and French
- Experience (4-5 years) providing leadership support
- Proven track record in supporting Boards and committees with a solid understanding of governance structures and best practices
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with experience working both independently and in a team
- Experience in project management, change management, and governance with strong planning and organizational skills
- Solid organizational skills, including attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated diplomacy and discretion in handling delicate and highly confidential matters
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple, changing priorities
- High standards of professional behaviour, ethical standards and sound judgment
- Ability to become knowledgeable on a number of different topics
- Ability to build key relationships and work effectively across teams and stakeholder groups
- Comfort with computer-based solutions and knowledge of Salesforce, MS Office, Gmail, and Google Drive
- Lived experiences or knowledge that contribute to CFC’s purpose, creativity and perspectives
- This is a full-time position within a highly dynamic and motivated team.
- This position is ideally located in Ottawa. Other locations across Canada will be considered for the right candidate.
- Compensation will be between $70,000-85,000 commensurate with experience; RRSP contributions and paid group benefits will be offered after a three-month probationary period.
How to Apply:
Please submit a CV and cover letter to Carolyn Leslie at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Director, Governance & Executive Office. The deadline for applications is 5:00 pm EST, Oct. 2, 2020.