The Impact of Climate Change on Canada and Why Foundations Need to Act
The climate crisis is having devastating effects on our land, oceans, and urban communities as increasingly evidenced by frequent extreme weather events, particularly through this past summer. Foundations have an important role to play in climate action, particularly as investors and funders. Now more than ever, our economy and capital markets must shift the tides to conserve and restore our land and water.
Community Foundations of Canada, in partnership with Impact United, invites Executive Directors and members of Investment Committees for both community and private foundations across Canada to join this webinar to learn more about the tangible steps that foundations can take towards investing for climate change and sustainability.
Panel One: The Sustainable Development Goals and Climate Change
- Denby McDonnell, Program Manager, Climate Innovation at Ecotrust Canada
- Jay Ritchlin, Director-General for Western Canada at the David Suzuki Foundation
- Kendra Macdonald, Chief Executive Officer, Canada’s Ocean Supercluster
- Lara Ellis, Senior Vice-President Policy and Partnerships at ALUS Canada
- Melina Laboucan-Massimo, Founder of Sacred Earth Solar, co-founder and Just Transition Director at Indigenous Climate Action
Panel Two: Investing for Climate Action
- Karel Mayrand, Community Foundation of Greater Montreal
- Dave Mason – Chair of the Investment Committee, West Vancouver Foundation
Prior to the event, attendees are invited to join the Impact United platform, where they will have an opportunity to access pre-event resources and background information on investment opportunities, as well as a supportive peer-to-peer community for impact investment.
Impact United is a broad-based community and movement of individual investors, families, foundations, institutions and faith-based organizations across Canada that seek to mobilize their investment capital towards social, economic and environmental justice. Impact United seeks to connect individuals and organizations to share, learn, and collaborate with each other. Impact United is a strategic initiative that is being hosted by SVX. Investors can join the movement at https://www.impactunited.ca/