Joint statement – Canadian Red Cross, Community Foundations of Canada, United Way Centraide Canada
Our experience over the last six months has shown us that COVID-19 does not impact all Canadians equally. Rather, it is those already struggling or on the margins who are bearing the brunt of this health crisis most profoundly. Through the Government of Canada’s $350 million Emergency Community Support Fund, first launched last May, the Canadian Red Cross, Community Foundations of Canada and United Way Centraide Canada have been proud to play a role in supporting more than 7000 community projects helping those who need it most. Now, as Canadians prepare for a second wave, we are renewing our efforts.
Starting October 5th, the final installment of the $350 million Fund will be released by the federal government so that we can continue to flow support to charities and non-profit organizations serving our most vulnerable. We commend the Government of Canada’s continued support to community organizations and look forward to extending our work from Round 1 to further assist organizations on the front lines in their missions. Alongside public health workers, charities and non-profit organizations have been providing essential services since the pandemic was first declared. This emergency support for their work is vital, as is longer-term support so they can be around to help see our communities through the recovery from COVID-19.
“Charities and non-profit organizations are at the heart of our communities, helping the most vulnerable Canadians during the COVID-19 crisis. The Government of Canada is pleased to support these organizations through the Emergency Community Support Fund so that they can continue their invaluable work.”The Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
Quick Facts about Round 2: Emergency Community Support Fund
- Application portals will be open from October 5 – 30, 2020.
- The Canadian Red Cross Emergency Support for Community Organizations will be delivered through two main programs:
- Granting Program for Non-Profits
- Free personal protective equipment (PPE) and training on preventing disease transmission for non-profits, registered charities, and qualified donees
- More information on the programs through Canadian Red Cross, can be found starting October 5th on redcross.ca/communityorganizations or by calling 1-866-221-2232
- Community Foundations of Canada, and community foundations across Canada, will support :
- Granting programs for registered charities and qualified donees. More information on how to apply will be available on the Community Foundations of Canada website starting October 5th.
- United Way Centraide Canada, through its local United Way and Centraide members, will support:
- Granting programs for registered charities and qualified donees. Some local United Way Centraides may also work with non-profit organizations to deliver local services. More information on how to apply will be available on the United Way Centraide Canada website starting October 5th.
Canadian Red Cross
Canadian Red Cross English Media Line: 1-877-599-9602
Canadian Red Cross French Media Line: 1-888-418-9111
Community Foundations Canada
Geneviève Vallerand, Communications Director firstname.lastname@example.org
United Way Centraide Canada